Another Week in Review

Before I start this post, here are three words I realised are used all the time in Australia.

1) Reckon - I reckon I have heard this one like a gazillion times already. No one uses the word 'think' here.

E.g. You reckon that Manchester United might win the league title this year? Yeah dream on.

2) Knackered - In Australia, you do not get tired. You get knackered.

E.g. Gosh! It has been such a long day at work. I'm totally knackered.

3) Push-bikes - Bicycles are referred to as push-bikes here.

E.g. - ...Do you seriously need an example for this? Come on!

If I do come across more of such words, I'll be sure to add on to this list. Now that English 101 is over, lets get to the week in review.

It was another short week as work only started on Tuesday. So, it was 4 days of work that flew by pretty quickly. I am slowly getting to know my colleagues better. Or at least that's what I hope. This week was filled with food, so let's begin. 

On 30 March, Sang and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary and 14th relationship anniversary. How the celebration panned out was pretty interesting.


Sang and I didn't really have anything planned mainly because I thought I had a camera club meeting and Sang had to attend her boot camp class. We would both end at around 8.30pm and hence decided it would be too late to have  fancy dinner. However, on Tuesday night, Sang randomly decided to look for any restaurant that might be open till late. She came across one called 'The Precinct' and she called to check the last order time. Unfortunately, the last order was at 8.30pm and we decided that our anniversary was probably going to be celebrated at Domino's or McDonald's. 



On Wednesday however, things took an interesting turn. I drove to the location of my supposed camera club meeting only to realise that I had gotten the dates muddle up and it was in fact supposed to be the following week. Now I was free and thought I would head down to the restaurant and make an order just before 8.30pm while Sang can drive down to meet me once she was done. I figured, that by the time the food was prepared, she would have made her way to the restaurant as well. 


Thankfully all did work out although Sang got delayed at the class. The wonderful staff at 'The Precinct' were so patient and waited beyond 8.30pm. We got our orders in at 9.00pm and they actually waited for Sang to arrive before they started preparing. How nice of them. The food was really good as well and prices were reasonable so we had a nice dinner in the end.

Rachel's Sweet, Sour and Sexy (I'm not sure of the sexy)
Friday was a good day as well as we met up with the usual gang again for some seafood at Rachel's Seafood Shack. We had fresh oysters, fish and seafood chowder which was all quite good. The seafood chowder was a treat and one fish in particular "Rachel's sweet, sour and sexy," was just fantastic. Unfortunately, we didn't get to eat any crab as crabbing season hasn't started. But I'm sure we will be there once the crabs are in. We had a good time laughing and talking into the night. Although we stretched our stay down to the closing minute at Rachel's, she was kind enough to wait for us patiently and even thanked us for bringing the sound of joy and laughter to her ears that night. How very nice of her.
Seafood Chowder
Fresh Oysters!





Moving on to Saturday, Sang and I had decided to pit our limited cooking skills to the test by inviting our friends over for dinner. Initially, Sang and I only thought of making them a pot of seafood biryani for dinner. But somewhere in the morning, the Indians in us awoken and we decided we should cook up a storm in the spirit of keeping up with our mothers. So it was decided that we would prepare four dishes. The seafood biryani, lamb rogan josh, spicy cabbage and raita (which is like an Indian salad with yoghurt). Throughout the day, we were busy preparing dishes and cleaning our apartment. We also had to go shop for some utensils and crockery to be able to cook for and host 8 people at one go. We learnt many things yesterday but eventually our guests arrived with happy faces and sat eagerly waiting. Pearl and Anna watched Sang and I bicker and panic while trying to finish cooking and that on its own seemed to make them happy. The food was finally served and it was a spicy challenge for some of us. Most of the dishes turned out well except for half the biryani rice. We couldn't accommodate cooking all the rice at one go, so we had to split half in the rice cooker and another half in the oven. Unfortunately, the one from the oven wasn't as well cooked and the rice was a little crunchy. We had to pop it back into the oven for further cooking. We ended the meal with a flurry of deserts (brought in by our wonderful friends). And ofcourse, beer, white wine, red wine as well as some mojito. It was an event to remember and we were thankful that the food turned out pretty alright.

We checked on them this morning (Sunday) to see if anyone had stomach troubles but that didn't seem to be an issue. I didn't check on Gerrard though. Wonder if he is alright... Hmm. Anyhow...

We dropped by Asian Pot for lunch and Pearl thought it would be a good idea for me to learn how to make some of her dishes. Under the tutelage of Pearl and Sid, I managed to safely cook Seafood Kway Teow, Hokkien Mee and Seafood Fried Rice. In all honestly, they did most of the adding of ingredients. I was more of the official stir-fryer (if that is even a word). 
For dinner, Sang decided to make some healthy dinner with potatoes, cheese and chicken meat. It turned out well with cheese oozing all over the over baked potatoes. Sang and I ended the culinary crusade with a stick of sorbet each. So that is it for this week in review. Thank you for making it to the end of this post and I hope I haven't gotten your tummies yearning for food. See you!

















Comments

Popular Posts