Happy Birthday Alvin



This post is really a tribute to a friend. One who celebrates his birthday today. I have chosen to omit his age because I honestly can't remember his exact age. I know a ballpark figure and I guess that is good enough. Hey, in my defence, there are days when I cannot remember if I am 31, 32 or 33. So please excuse me for not knowing the exact ages of all my friends. That is not important information anyway because age and maturation are two different facets entirely.

Alvin and I first met in NIE in 2006. That is 11 years ago now. Yes it does seem like a long time and we did hang out a fair bit during those years. For 4 years, we were course mates, group mates, assignment mates etc. I honestly do not remember much of the NIE days so here are some photos to relive those memories.

Billy Bombers Marina Square, 2006 (From left: Alvin, Manoaj, Andre, Me) 

Alvin attempts a Muay Thai double knee finishing move during gym glass in 2007
Dip Ed graduation, 2008

Inter-class games, 2009

Learning Journey to Singapore River, 2010

An excursion to Labrador Park for our Social Studies Module, 2010

Wow, it is really nostalgic to relive these memories. Anyway, during those years, although we were in close contact with each other, on good terms and enjoyed the company while studying, Alvin and I were not personal friends. As in we did not hang out with each other that much outside school hours.
Simply put, we weren't as close as we are now. At the end of our NIE stint, we parted ways to two different schools. Nevertheless, Alvin, along with a few others made time for me during my wedding when I wanted to throw a surprise performance. Here are some memories and videos :)

Alvin the cross-eyed drummer. The things we used to do when we were younger. 

Me testing my vocals

The entire band rocking it in style
As you can see from the videos above (which are 7 years old by the way), we shared some pretty gnarly memories. And then the years rolled by as we both got busy with work and other commitments. We would catch up for the occasional tea every now and then and meet each other during PE seminars and workshops. Otherwise, our contact started to get limited. I picked up photography and together with my aquarium, scuba diving holidays and the host of other activities I got involved in, Alvin and I saw very little of each other for the next three years.

In 2014, Alvin and Elaine came for my birthday party at a chalet somewhere. I honestly cannot remember where it was but we started talking about photography and I learnt that Alvin had also gotten into photography although he was more focused on photographing birds.

Eventually, our enthusiasm for photography and nature caught on with each other and we made some local excursions to photograph some birds. It was usually Alvin who would text me to inform me of some locations and  I would meet him there.  Soon, in December 2014, we went on a trip together to Doi Inthanon, Thailand. I was always excited with the prospect of going on a photography holiday and this was the first time it was going to be as such. Birds, mountains, cool weather and photography. What more can one ask for from a holiday? It was a fantastic trip as we enjoyed the outdoors with our guide and revelled in some mouth-watering Thai dishes. Once again, photos in my opinion are the best way to relive memories. So here you go:

Alvin stares on in anticipation with our guide, Arjin

The owners of the homestay where we stayed during our trip

Yeah I know there were only two photos. Unfortunately, the rest of the 1500 photos I took were all of birds and mountains. Nevertheless, the trip sealed the deal. I was hooked on to the birding bug (much to Alvin's excitement). In 2015 we went on another trip to Khao Yai, Thailand. Thereafter, I moved to Darwin in early 2016 and soon after, little Hannah entered the lives of Alvin and his wife, Elaine.

Nevertheless, we managed to meet up on the occasions where Sang and I visited Singapore. In September 2016,  Alvin and his family came over and stayed with us for a week in Darwin where we mixed our birding activities with other enjoyable moments. In December last year, Alvin and I went to Baoshan, China for yet another birding trip. Simply put, from 2014 to 2017, Alvin and I had become really close friends and our passion for birds and photography had seen us become best of pals. Before moving on... you guessed it... more photos !

Alvin is thoroughly satisfied with the meal here. I was too. That Tom Ka soup was just amazing!

Alvin with a smug look on his face as we wait patiently for a bird to appear

Another fantastic meal 

Alvin can't contain his excitement during the long transit to Baoshan, Dec 2016
Something seem's to have caught his attention

Us in a a hide in Baoshan. Here we saw the Red Billed Blue Magpie and a Blue-Throated Barbet

Alvin enjoys the cliffside breeze as Sang and Elaine enjoy a chat
The Lees enjoy a boat cruise along Corroboree Billabong, Darwin
Cullen Bay sunset. They sure enjoyed this one
Alvin focused on a bird during one of our birding outings while in Darwin


Us enjoying the cascading falls at Buley's Rockhole, Sep 2016

Jun 2017 - Alvin throw's a mini surprise birthday celebration to squeeze into my tight schedule when visiting Singapore

So it is my turn to wish Alvin a happy birthday today. More than just wishing him a wonderful birthday, I would like to thank him for always being there for me. Especially in the past 2 years, Alvin has really walked along with me in my photographic journey. I have bugged him on countless occasions for advice and thoughts and he has always taken the time to provide me with sound advice and his perspectives on matters. He texts me almost every day without fail with genuine concern on how I am going. As a dedicated father, husband and department head, I know that Alvin has a dozen things to keep him busy. Nevertheless, he strives to be a dedicated friend. I guess that summarises Alvin as the person I know. Whatever he does, he does it with dedication and sincerity. For that I am truly humbled to be one of the few people on the receiving end of his love and energy. 

Not only has he been a wonderful friend, he has also been a teacher and guide to me. He never fails to offer a different perspective when I am troubled. There are many times when I am wallowing in self-pity and through his texts, I can almost feel him beside me giving me a slap on my shoulder to wake me up. He has also taught me what it means to respectfully disagree often offering a different opinion but presenting it very carefully.

So here's to Alvin. A truly wonderful friend who has walked beside me for the past few years, although we are miles apart. Happy birthday to you my dear friend. I wish you a very joyous and special birthday with your loved ones. Thank you for always making time for me. I look forward to having a beer with you when we meet next :)



Comments

Popular Posts