Best time for blogging

I am seated here in Maningrida School. It is 8.14pm and I have just had my dinner. Sumin Spicy Thai cup noodles. It has to be the worst instant noodles I have ever eaten. Let's just say the day has been rather... interesting.

As part of my day job, I promote physical activity to people of all ages. These days, I could do with some promotion targeted at myself. If you have been faithfully following some of the previous posts, I am sure you know that I have staved off exercise for awhile. Anyway, I digress. As part of my work, I was contacted to run a Deadly Choices program in Maningrida. A name I was familiar with thanks to the frequent location updates of my remote nursing colleagues. Nevertheless, I had no idea where it was but eagerly lapped up the offer. The moment I got off the line, Google Maps was up and I checked in hope that it would be along a coastline.


So here it is, approximately 600 odd kms from Darwin. About an hour's flight on the E120 Brasilia aircraft operated by Air North. Sang dropped me off at the airport at 7am (thank you da!) and I was soon airborne starring at abstract aerial patterns worthy of AIPP Gold awards. It didn't take too long before the familiar announcement that meant it was time for landing.

As the aircraft approached the red dusty landstrip, I looked out in excitement wondering what surprises the week was going to hold for me. The next 10 min happened very quickly. I was awaiting for my baggage at 9.10am at Maningrida airport and at 9.20, I was standing in the middle of Maningrida School, staring at the cart of physical activity equipment which I had to sort out for my first lesson at 9.30am. There was barely any time to figure out my surroundings. Talk about taking a plunge in the deep end.

Conducting activities is a stark contrast from those I have done in Darwin and let's not event talk about Singapore. Pupils were barefoot, family members sitting around the school instructing (sometimes yelling) at their children, dogs following the children around the school, children cursing expletives freely, boys doing somersaults of school benches and a lot more. It was culture shock central.







Thankfully, the teachers were great and the kids, although mischievous, were largely cooperative. I completed my first two bouts of activities and was allowed a 30 min break as the school transitioned into recess mode. During the 30 min, I attempted to figure out my room keys and the facilities I was supposed to have. However, with little instruction and no one in sight to clarify with, I wasted the 30 min fumbling around with keys feeling like a young kid who was incompetent with his Fischer-Price shape-fitting toys.

The wifi credentials that finally got me connectivity

During my second break which arrived at lunch, I decided to make my way to the nearby convenience store to stock up on some basic food supplies. With no idea of what the kitchen looked like and no refrigerator in my room, I turned to cup noodles to keep myself from starving. To say the day had been hot would be an understatement. I needed some sugar in me quick so I regretfully got a back of Allen's Ripe Raspberries. With my blood sugar northbound, I survived the last session which was with youth between 14 - 17 years of age. Again a new experience conducting activities for people in this age group.


School buses labelled 'Remote School Attendance Strategy'

Finally the first day of work was done and as I strutted back to my dorm, I met Caleb. Caleb is a student from Deakin University who was at Maningrida on a teaching practicum with 5 others. He and his friends were kind enough to show me around the dorms. It turned out, the kitchen was better stocked than our apartment kitchen. You can bet that my meals tomorrow are going to be way better. Anyway, with my newfound company, we took a stroll to the beach to revel in the glorious coastal sunset. While there, some kids were having fun by doing some ridiculous backflips and somersaults.





As the evening drew to a close, I had my dinner which brings us back to the start of my post. It is now 8.50pm and I shall end my post here. Tomorrow I will be better prepared with activities for the kids and I might just head to the beach for another sunset. I felt the midgies getting me today so I know I am done for.













Comments

Popular Posts