An Interesting Day

I left home at 7am this morning with the destination on my GPS set to Dundee Beach School. I was supposed to reach Dundee Beach School at 9.30am where I would rendezvous with Smile-A-Mile Toy Library (SAM) to see the type of activities they do with the pupils there. It was an easy an smooth drive in the rented, and spanking new I might add, Mitsubishi Pajero. It only had 700km on its mileage.

Either way, it was a relaxing drive with no real dramas. The biggest obstacle I faced was a gravel-filled crossing that was about 5cm deep. True Territorians would be laughing at me for even mentioning this as an obstacle altogether.

I reached Dundee Beach School at 9.10am and it was a lovely school that was extremely well maintained. I was greeted by the groundskeeper whom I explained my presence to. I then offered to help him sweep out the water that had collected in the court from last night's rain.


After 20 min of good work, SAM was nowhere in sight. 2 hours out of Darwin and with no network, I was left guessing. At least until the Principal came out to greet me and explain that SAM had called in to cancel this morning no thanks to the downpour from last night.

Not one to give up so easily, I said I would be happy to conduct activities with the pupils if they could let me take a look at any physical activity equipment they had. A teacher showed me the PE stash and I was honestly blown away. For a school that had a total number of 24 pupils (that's less than a Primary 1 class that I am used to teaching) there were so many types of sports equipment. By reflex, I started planning for some activities in the 10 minutes before the pupils were unleashed from their academic lesson.

The session went well and the pupils (and teachers) had fun. I then begun my drive back toward Darwin, stopping along the way to grab a bite as well as to contact Chrissie, my manager, to let her know that I had not become croc lunch and that the session was actually fruitful.

On a sidenote, Sang also had a long drive today as she and her colleague had a meeting in Katherine and she got back home a little later than usual.

In other news, the wedding fair is coming up this weekend so Sang and I are busy trying to get things in order. Work has been rather busy for me as well with a number of activities going on as well as a few more that I have yet to plan for.


Nothing else for now. Adios !

Comments

Popular Posts