Day 4 in Maningrida - A Short Update

Well, the 4th day of my 5 day stint here in Maningrida is coming to a close. I must have gotten bitten by some midgies yesterday at the beach as I was scratching my feet in a frenzy last night.  Today was a shorter day in terms of activities. I had 3 sessions which all went really well. My day ended at 1pm today after which I pretty much tried to keep myself occupied by walking in and out of my dorm and the kitchen.

Eventually, 4.30pm came and I headed out with the Deakin student-teachers to assist with the community fun run. We drew the all-important start and finish line with chalk and while the rest of them had more substantive duties, I merely walked around and snapped photos and videos.

The all-important start and finish line
Henry adds in some decoration - "Fun Run - Its so aw(e)some it even rhyme(s)"
With a spring in his stride
Lauren helps to sell locally made scrunchies. The money raised will be used to build water bubblers for the community
One of the staff motivates the kids to finish the race
After the race was almost over, I headed back to the dorm to call out to Rob. Rob Skinner Jr. is here with NT Basketball to conduct activities with the kids as well. He arrived yesterday. He mentioned that he would like to head out to check out the coast after I was done at the fun run.

We walked towards the barge where he noticed some boys hanging around a crane. Rob really enjoyed talking to these kids and took a couple of videos for his own vlog. I managed some photos as well before we headed back thanks to an apparent crazy man lurking in the vicinity. The boys alerted us to his presence and warned us that he had killed someone before. As the boys hastened in their step away from the area, Rob and I decided it was safer for us to follow suit.

Rob and I with the boys

Once back in the dorm, I had my dinner, threw clothes into the washer and now I shall be heading into my dorm shortly.

So that's about it for today. Tomorrow I will be back in Darwin and as much as I have enjoyed my stay here, I cannot wait to get back home to annoy Sang.


Comments

Popular Posts